Friday, February 12, 2010

False accusations and ';the chilling effect'; argument: which are more numerous?

Men who falsely accuse women of domestic abuse? Or women who falsely accuse men of rape? Overall, which would have the greater chilling effect on the reporting of actual occurrences: women's expectation of not being believed or sympathized with (however subjective), or men's?False accusations and ';the chilling effect'; argument: which are more numerous?
Women who accuse men of domestic abuse is more numerous, such as is women who falsely accuse men of rape. A man rarely says anything, cause he knows he's not going to be believed. Who's side would I be on? I'd be on the men's side; basically because all these injustices have been by-products of feminism.False accusations and ';the chilling effect'; argument: which are more numerous?
Don't quite know what you're asking, exactly, but both situations are wrong. Don't know I'd get chilled by either one. So many stories about people being terrible to each other, it makes a person numb. About the only things that still chill are ones where a child is harmed or someone's loved one comes up missing, murdered or maimed.





Edit: I get it now. Thanks for the explanation. I actually think the women might suffer the chilling effect more if another woman falsely accused a man of rape. Not to be judgmental or anything, but a man is more likely to bluster or bluff his way through such things whereas a woman who's the victim of rape is already demoralized greatly and probably going through a lot just dealing with what happened to her. Yeah, I know a man would be liklely to be ashamed and/or intimidated into not wanting to report a crime in the first place because other men might judge him as weak for getting beat by a woman, but I don't think one man falsely accusing a woman of abuse would stop or inspire a true male victim from taking whatever action he would have taken in the first place. A true female rape victim most likely already knows how hard it is to convince a jury that a real rape occurred. To know that in her community another woman had her name publicized in a paper as being a liar would probably convince the real victim that her chances of getting a conviction and remaining unscathed would be next to nothing. She'd probably want to just try and forget about what happened to her and move on, even if without the advertisement she might have pursued her rights legally. I think the men will do what is in their nature to do regardless.





Incidentally, I do realize that men who are victims of abuse usually don't report it because of the stigma attached to men who are beaten by a woman, regardless of the reason the woman got the upper hand in the first place. I think it's wrong, but I do think that those that were going to report it are going to be less likely to care if their names got published, especially if they know they're right. The only exception I see is if that man has a position in the community to maintain and fears losing if such information ever came to light. Otherwise, I think he'd seek justice with or without such previous instances.





Good question, now that I understand it better. Hope my answer was understandable and helpful. :)
I did not realize that men falsely accusing women of domestic violence was a problem. It goes against what I would expect.





But I agree that false accusations of any kind have a chilling effect both on the reaction to the crime and the fear of reporting and not being believed. Real crimes go unreported everyday.
Every action has a reaction.. every positive has a negative and every negative has a positive.





To help one group you often have to hurt another group.
I think both are really bad. I hate all that and hope to heavens I never get into such heated situations.... the false accusations are bad.
if someone levels an accusation at me, i would want to face them down in court and see their name splashed all over the paper and evening news as well. they bring false accusations and ridicule to me, i'd do the same to them, and a lawsuit.
Was going to say falsely accuse of rape but usually that gets thrown out because not enough evidence. It's worse for the man being the accused for rape. The more I think about it the more I think it's worse in the end for men to accuse women of abuse because most people already don't believe men on that and lying about it will just make that worse.





Good question

No comments:

Post a Comment