Thursday, February 4, 2010

As a police officer, can my employer fire me when I passed a polygraph from a false accusation?

I am facing termination after I was accused of false reporting of an incident and passed a polygraph that was administered by my employer due to this accusation. I have never been disciplined in any manner during my nearly 7yrs with this employer.As a police officer, can my employer fire me when I passed a polygraph from a false accusation?
I doubt it. They can try, if they are out to get you. But you passed the hurdle they were trying to put in front of you. You have a union and, at worst, an appeals process. I don't think they can touch you. I've seen a department have a tough time with worse accusations.As a police officer, can my employer fire me when I passed a polygraph from a false accusation?
gee bunch of us have had that happen too but we just pay our tickets so we dont have to LOSE our jobs fighting city hall.


i know life isnt fair
pollygraph test result is not admissible to court as evidence... same as true as ground for your dismissal. it must be corroborated by solid evidence or a witness.
They can fire you and you can sue them. So they probably will not fire you.
Hopefully, you are innocent. You must know that the polygraph tests are not admissible. If guilty, say so. If not, pray, keep the faith, and find a good lawyer if they want to fire you.
Contact the shop steward with your union....they will aid you.
Hopefully you have a good F.O.P. rep that will represent you and save your job. If not, contact the Nation F.O.P. and see about getting help in some way from them. I've seen officers where I worked get terminated and fight and get back on the department so don't give up and let them win.





If you do get terminated and then win your case (with back pay usually), stay long enough to ';settle in'; (maybe a year) and then see about getting on another department close to home or move if you can make more money elsewhere so you don't have the stigma hanging over your head.





Good luck to you
Officer James, My husband is An police Officer too and I asked him and he stated Unlikely unless they find other grounds for termination? are you on Paid leave of absence or still active? They will take your history in consideration I personally do not think they would. Expecially since you passed the polygraph
My brother-in-law was a cop and they had a ';three strike and you're out'; policy there. If this is your first offense then I don't see how they could. Especially if you passed the polygraph. However, polygraphs are not so reliable anymore. He may be looking for a reason to get rid of you. You may want to hire an attorney if you are falsely accused. Can you prove the incident WAS true? How serious was the incident you reported.
it would depend upon how much hard evidence the employer has against you. if that out weighs your passing the polygraph test the employer may have grounds for termination. polygraphs are not very reliable they are not even admissable (sp?) in a court of law. but you need to seek a good lawyer and like dude above said if you are in a union get union support

No comments:

Post a Comment